Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) in 2016.
October 2016 - update to scheme rules
The BPS 2016 scheme rules have been updated to reflect changes to the way certain penalties will be applied in future. Version 2 of the rules is published below (including an explanation of what’s changed on the inside front cover).
BPS 2016 is now closed for applications
You can no longer:
- make a BPS 2016 application
- make certain changes to an application you’ve already submitted (read the scheme rules for more information)
- transfer BPS entitlements for 2016
If you want to transfer entitlements - or land parcels - in advance of the BPS 2017 scheme year, RPA will confirm how to do this in due course.
Rural Payments service
You can use the Rural Payments service to:
- register for rural payments
- update your personal and business details
- give someone else (like an agent) permission to act on your behalf
- view your BPS entitlements
- see and print digital maps of your land parcels
- view your BPS 2016 application summary (if you applied online)
Now the 2016 application period is over, you can’t use the service to:
- transfer entitlements and/or land parcels for BPS 2016
- make an Active Farmer declaration
- add or delete common land rights
Forgotten your online password?
If you’re logging in with a Customer Reference Number (CRN) and have forgotten your password, you can create a new one from the sign-in page. Click ‘Having trouble signing in?’ then ‘create a new one’. If you can’t remember your CRN, call RPA on 03000 200 301.
How to use the Rural Payments service
There’s help onscreen in the service to guide you if you get stuck (you can also download a copy of the onscreen help (PDF, 3.11MB, 49 pages) ).
For extra information, also read How to claim BPS online (PDF, 4.63MB, 28 pages) and BPS 2016: Hints and tips on making your application (PDF, 941KB, 26 pages) .
Scheme rules and other guidance
You can read the BPS 2016 scheme rules (PDF, 5.46MB, 118 pages) to find out how the scheme works.
Other guidance and forms are also available:
Young and new farmer form (PDF, 670KB, 5 pages) (including applications for entitlements) and guidance on completing the young and new farmer form (PDF, 1.43MB, 8 pages)
Winter varieties of Brassica crops for 'crop diversification' (PDF, 299KB, 3 pages)
How to claim BPS online (PDF, 4.63MB, 28 pages)
- BPS 2016 land use codes
Common land and shared grazing (PDF, 2.26MB, 12 pages)
Land in more than one part of the UK (PDF, 2.32MB, 20 pages)
- Active farmer readmission: accountant certificate
- Cross compliance rules
BP5 Continuation booklet - Part C: Field data sheet (PDF, 641KB, 12 pages)
BP5 Continuation booklet - Part D: Greening: ecological focus areas (EFA) (PDF, 640KB, 8 pages)
BP5 Continuation booklet - Part E: Common land grazing rights (PDF, 607KB, 8 pages)
2016 Greening workbook (PDF, 1.89MB, 6 pages)
- How to apply for BPS 2016 on paper (PDF, 1.7MB, 54 pages)
Read the RLE1 form and guidance if you need to use an RLE1 form to change your online maps, or to transfer entitlements by paper.
October 2016: BPS 2016 rules update
The scheme rules for 2016 have been updated to include:
new rules for calculating penalties if farmers over-claim land for BPS 2016 onwards
Finola as an eligible variety of hemp for BPS 2016
Read the list inside the front cover of the BPS 2016 scheme rules (version 2) for more information about the changes that have been made.
Planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service
There will be times when the Rural Payments service is unavailable because of essential planned maintenance and updates.
RPA will aim to minimise the disruption to users by scheduling these planned times for evenings after 6pm, and at weekends. This may not always be possible, but they will try to give as much notice as possible of daytime unavailability.
|No planned downtime|
Rural Payments helpline: 03000 200 301 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm)
Follow RPA on twitter @ruralpay.
Find RPA on Facebook
Published: 2 February 2016
Updated: 24 October 2016
- Version 2 of the BPS 2016 scheme rules published to reflect changes to the way certain penalties will be applied.
- Updated Rural Payments down time
- Downtime for Rural Payments service updated
- Rural Payments downtime updated
- Added planned maintenance for 21st September
- Updated the Rural Payments service onscreen help with the application statuses.
- Update to planned downtime of the Rural Payments service.
- Updated system downtime
- Updated Rural Payments downtime
- Rural Payments service downtime updated
- Rural Payments downtime updated
- Updated because BPS 2016 application period has closed.
- Update for planned maintenance specifically about the Land Viewer function.
- Scheduled system maintenance added
- Updated with Rural Payments downtime planned overnight on Friday 3 June.
- Update to Rural Payments planned downtime and updated content of page to reflect that the BPS 2016 submission deadline has now passed.
- Updated for last few days of BPS 2016 applications, including helpline opening hours and how to update a submitted online application.
- Added information on when our helpline and Online Support Centres are open this weekend.
- Updated with a new version of BPS 2016 'Hints and Tips' document (read page 2 for an explanation of what's been added).
- Updated because the planned downtime for next week will now be slightly later.
- Updated with Rural Payments downtime for next week.
- Added the list of winter brassicas.
- Updated the 'Rural Payments onscreen help' document.
- Updated with downtime planned for Thursday 5 May.
- Updated page with news that online claimants can now amend or add their common-land rights on the Rural Payments service. Also updated service downtime message.
- Updated with latest information about the eligibilty of the hemp variety 'Finola'.
- Added information on downtime on 28 and 29 April
- Updated with a new verion of BPS 2016 'Hints and Tips' document (read page 1 for an explanation of what's been added).
- Update to planned maintenance for 19 April
- Updated with one hour of planned downtime on the rural payments service tonight.
- Updated planned downtime message as service will be unavailable from 6 to 7pm on 7 April.
- Updated Hints and Tips document. Added details on the link to use to log in to Rural Payments, how to create and update an Application Summary, the greening checker in the application summary, and how to add land parcels to a 2016 online claim.
- Updated to include How to apply for BPS 2016 on paper
- Updated to tell people that for this week, you don't need to book an appointment before you come to an Online Support Centre.
- Amended downtime: Tuesday 5 April (overnight) 5pm to 7am
- Planned downtime: Tuesday 5 April (overnight) 6pm to 7am
- Updated with latest downtime for rural payments and new opening times for Hereford support centre.
- Planned downtime updated
- Added information in the latest news section on helpline and Online Support Centres opening times over Easter. Also added information about eligible hemp varieties. In the the scheme rules and other guidance section, added a greening workbook for 2016 and young and new farmer form and guidance. Finally, in the help to apply section, added new document 'Hints and tips for 2016 applications'
- Updated with Easter opening hours for the Rural Sevices helpline.
- Added a Hereford location to the list of Online Support Centres.
- Updated to show additional time when Rural Payments service will be unavailable on 22 March 2016
- Updated to attach BP5 contintuation sheets.
- Updated with latest planned downtime for the Rural Payments service on 21 and 22 March
- Updated with locations of online support centres to help those applying onlien for BPS 2016.
- Updated with new guidance about how to apply for BPS 2016.
- Updated to include more information about applying for BPS online in 2016, plus adding new guidance 'How to claim BPS online', the land use codes to use on Rural Payments and an update to the online help document to include all the step-by-step that is now available on the Rural Payments service.
- Updated information on when Rural Payments service is available
- Updated table showing times the Rural Payments service will be unavailable
- Updated with weekend helpline opening hours.
- Updated information for 17 March on when the Rural Payments service will be unavailable
- Downtime schedule updated
- Updated with latest planned maintenance of the Rural Payments service.
- Updated to annnounce helpline opening hours on Saturday 12 March.
- Updated with notification of planned maintenance on the Rural Payments service on 8 March from 10pm to 10:30pm
- Updated with information about new features on the Rural Payments service for BPS 2016.
- Updated with the complete scheme rules for BPS 2016
- First published.