Check for listed disinfectants for aquaculture; or apply to have your product listed.
The following disinfectants have been tested under the listing scheme conditions to demonstrate their effectiveness against aquatic diseases.
The table displays listed disinfectant products and their effective dilutions as demonstrated under the mandatory test conditions of 4°C ± 1°C test temperature, with a 30 minute ± 30 second contact time. Where applied for, additional effective dilutions under optional test data (varying contact time and test temperature) is displayed in the comments column.
|Product name||Product physical form||Company name||Company address and contact details||Bacterial diseases of aquaculture relevance* (Test Standard EN1656 Modified)||Viral diseases of aquaculture relevance* (Test Standard EN14675 Modified)||Other*|
|Aqua Des||Liquid||Aquatiq UK Ltd||8 Aurora House, UHI Inverness Campus, Inverness, IV2 5NA; www.aquatiq.com||1 to 200||1 to 200||N/A|
|BioVX Aqua||Powder||Biolink Ltd||Halifax Way, Pocklington, York YO42 1NR; www.biolinklimited.co.uk||1 to 100||1 to 100||N/A|
|FAM 30||Liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH; www.evansvanodine.co.uk||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|Steri-7 Xtra High Level Surface Disinfectant Cleaner and Steri-7 Xtra NetDip||Liquid||Steri-7 Worldwide Ltd||34 Baron Grove, Mitcham, Surrey, CR4 4EH; www.steri-7.com/||1 to 20||N/A||N/A|
|Vanoquat New Formulation||Liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH; www.evansvanodine.co.uk||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|Virasure® Aquatic||Pink powder||Fish Vet Group Ltd||22 Carsegate Road, Inverness, IV3 8EX; www.fishvetgroup.co.uk||1 to 100||0.7 to 100||N/A|
Key: * Effective dilution for liquids expressed as 1 part product to x parts water, or for solids expressed as 1 gram product to x mls water. † The disinfectant does not need to be diluted.
Apply to have your product listed
This is a voluntary scheme and is open to any disinfectant manufacturer wishing to market their product in the UK.
It lists disinfectants that have been independently validated as effective against viral and bacterial diseases affecting freshwater fish.
To apply to get your disinfectant listed you must:
- have your product tested by a qualified laboratory
- complete and submit the by post and pay the application fee
Get your disinfectant tested
Before applying you must ensure your product has passed the modified test standards below (depending on your application):
- bacterial diseases - using the specified modification of EN Standard 1656:2009
- viral diseases - using the specified modification of EN Standard 14675:2015
- select a laboratory that works to a recognised international laboratory quality system
- have quality assurance checks done by an independent auditor
You can apply to have your disinfectant listed as effective for 1 disease type (bacterial or viral diseases) or for both.
You must pay for each disinfectant product you wish to list and choose either:
- a single scheme application (viral or bacterial efficacy) – £1,355 (excluding VAT)
- a combined application (viral and bacterial efficacy) – £1,855 (excluding VAT)
Fees are non-refundable for unsuccessful applications.
The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) manages the process.
- It acknowledges receipt within 5 working days and sends it for technical review.
- It receives the results from the technical review within 20 working days.
- It sends you the results within 5 working days. If successful you must sign and return the terms and conditions of the listing scheme. If unsuccessful it will inform you of the reasons why and the next steps.
- It lists your product.
Renewals and changes to your product
Each listing is valid for 5 years. You must then reapply to continue to be listed. However, retesting is not always necessary if your disinfectant’s composition hasn’t changed.
If you change your product’s composition you should notify Cefas immediately. Product changes require a retest and you must then reapply for listing.
If you wish to add distributors for your listed products you need to apply for an amendment using the same application form (omit section 3 and the appendices). There is no charge to do this.
The disinfectant listed and sold must be identical to the original sample tested and reviewed.