Check for listed disinfectants for aquaculture; or apply to have your product listed.
Applies to England and Wales
The following disinfectants have been tested under the listing scheme conditions to demonstrate their effectiveness against aquatic diseases.
The table displays listed disinfectant products and their effective dilutions as demonstrated under the mandatory test conditions of 4°C ± 1°C test temperature, with a 30 minute ± 30 second contact time. Where applied for, additional effective dilutions under optional test data (varying contact time and test temperature) is displayed in the comments column.
|Product name||Product physical form||Company name||Company address and contact details||Bacterial diseases of aquaculture relevance* (Test Standard EN1656 Modified)||Viral diseases of aquaculture relevance* (Test Standard EN14675 Modified)||Other*|
|Aqua Des||Liquid||Aquatiq UK Ltd||8 Aurora House, UHI Inverness Campus, Inverness, IV2 5NA; www.aquatiq.com||1 to 200||1 to 200||N/A|
|Aqua Omnicide||Liquid||Coventry Chemicals Ltd||Woodhams Road, Siskin Drive, Coventry CV5 9LH; https://www.miriushealthcare.com/||1 to 99||1 to 99||N/A|
|BioVX Aqua||Powder||Biolink Ltd||Halifax Way, Pocklington, York YO42 1NR; www.biolinklimited.co.uk||1 to 100||1 to 100||N/A|
|Centrego Toucan HOCL 500||Liquid||Centrego Ltd||Unit N4, Marshall Way, Commerce Park, Frome, Somerset BA11 2FB, United Kingdom www.centregoltd.com||Undiluted. (Product tested at 80% concentration)||Undiluted. (Product tested at 80% concentration)||N/A|
|FAM 30||Liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH; www.evansvanodine.co.uk||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|GPC8||Liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH; www.evansvanodine.co.uk||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|Mira 8||Liquid||Calton Commercial Corporation||653-655 T. Pinpin St., Binondo, Manila, Philippines||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|Neogen Viroxide Aqua||Powder||Quat-Chem Limited||1-4 Sandfield Industrial Park, Dodgson Street, Rochdale, OL16 5SJ||1 to 150||1 to 199||N/A|
|Steri-7 Xtra High Level Surface Disinfectant Cleaner and Steri-7 Xtra NetDip||Liquid||Steri-7 Worldwide Ltd||34 Baron Grove, Mitcham, Surrey, CR4 4EH; www.steri-7.com/||1 to 20||N/A||N/A|
|V18||liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|Vanoquat||liquid||Evans Vanodine International PLC||Brierley Rd, Walton Summit, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8AH||1 to 100||N/A||N/A|
|VirkonTM Aquatic||Solid / Powder||Antec International Ltd||Windham Road, Sudbury, CO10 2XD||1 to 100||1 to 200||N/A|
Key: * Effective dilution for liquids expressed as 1 part product to x parts water, or for solids expressed as 1 gram product to x mls water. † The disinfectant does not need to be diluted.
Apply to have your product listed
This is a voluntary scheme and is open to any disinfectant manufacturer wishing to market their product in the UK.
It lists disinfectants that have been independently validated as effective against viral and bacterial diseases affecting freshwater fish.
To apply to get your disinfectant listed you must:
- have your product tested by a qualified laboratory
- complete and submit the Disinfectant Aquaculture Rate Card
- complete and submit the Disinfectant Aquaculture Application Form
Get your disinfectant tested
Before applying you must ensure your product has passed the modified test standards below (depending on your application):
- bacterial diseases - using the specified modification of EN Standard 1656:2019
- viral diseases - using the specified modification of EN Standard 14675:2015
- select a laboratory that works to a recognised international laboratory quality system
- have quality assurance checks done by an independent auditor
You can apply to have your disinfectant listed as effective for 1 disease type (bacterial or viral diseases) or for both.
You must pay for each disinfectant product you wish to list and choose either:
- a single scheme application (viral or bacterial efficacy) – £2,095 (excluding VAT)
- a combined application (viral and bacterial efficacy) – £2,591 (excluding VAT)
Please note that fees are non-refundable for unsuccessful applications.
The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) manages the process.
- Cefas will acknowledge receipt of the application within 5 working days.
- Upon payment of fees, Cefas will submit the application for a technical assessment.
- Cefas will receive the results of the technical review within 20 working days.
- Cefas will inform you of the outcome of your disinfectant listing application within 5 working days as a pass or fail. If successful you must sign and return the terms and conditions of the listing scheme. If unsuccessful Cefas will inform you of the reasons why and the next steps.
- Cefas will update the listing site to include your product with 7 working days of a successful application.
Renewals and changes to your product
Each listing is valid for 5 years. You must then reapply to continue to be listed. However, retesting is not always necessary if your disinfectant’s composition hasn’t changed.
If you change your product’s composition you should notify Cefas immediately. Product changes require a retest and you must then reapply for listing.
If you wish to add distributors for your listed products you need to apply for an amendment using the same application form (omit section 3 and the appendices). There is no charge to do this.
The disinfectant listed and sold must be identical to the original sample tested and reviewed.