How to claim

To avoid losing money, claim Guardian’s Allowance as soon as the child comes to live with you.

  1. Fill in the claim form (BG1).

  2. Send it to the Guardian’s Allowance Unit with the child’s full birth certificate and the parents’ death certificates (or certificate if one parent has died) - send originals.

You should also claim Child Benefit as soon as possible.

Guardian’s Allowance can be backdated for up to 3 months.

You can also call the Guardian’s Allowance Unit and ask for a claim pack.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.