We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Cyprus. Our work covers a range of issues including crime and international security.

We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Cyprus. We also have a consular section that deals with a wide range of issues in a country that receives almost a million British visitors a year and where tens of thousands Britons live for all or part of the year.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Cyprus and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +357 22 861100. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Cyprus, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British High Commission Nicosia or at the British High Commission Nicosia, North office.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Cyprus, see travel advice for Cyprus.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We cannot issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status. For information on getting married in the Republic of Cyprus, see getting married abroad. We also advise you contact the Cyprus Municipality where you intend to marry for further guidance on documentary requirements, or a Republic of Cyprus Diplomatic mission in the country of your residence.

We cannot offer same sex marriages or convert a civil partnership into a marriage.

You may be able to register a civil partnership at the British High Commission in Cyprus – this service can only be offered at our Alexander Pallis street office (south). Contact us to discuss further or email nicosia.consular@fco.gov.uk to make an appointment for a civil partnership.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Cyprus. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Cyprus and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack for the Republic of Cyprus or a prison pack for north Cyprus with information for British prisoners. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We cannot offer notarial services. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we do provide.

Legalisation services

Nicosia does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Cyprus. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government:

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Cyprus

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Cyprus

Our people

Matthew Kidd

Matthew Kidd

British High Commissioner to Cyprus

Contact us

British High Commission Nicosia

Alexander Pallis Street
PO Box 21978


Access and opening times

Consular section

Consular section
Alexander Pallis Street
PO Box 21978


Access and opening times