British High Commissioner to Mozambique
We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Mozambique.
We deal with a wide range of political, development, commercial, security and economic issues of interest to the UK and Mozambique, benefiting the people of both countries. We provide information, support and advice to those wishing to develop links between Mozambique and the UK. We provide consular assistance to British nationals in Mozambique.
This High Commission does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Births, deaths and marriages
Information on how you can register a birth or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Passports and emergency travel documents
Information on how to renew or replace your British passport when visiting the UK and information on getting replacement travel documents if your passport is lost or stolen.
If you are traveling in the next week and your passport is not available, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document. Call our Consular section for ETD enquiries using the details at the foot of this page.
Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.
Information on legalisation services including on how to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.
Living in Mozambique
Advice for British nationals living in Mozambique, who might need information about services not provided by our consular section, but that you may find useful in certain circumstances.
You will find explanation on the prison system in Mozambique and an overview on how certain legal procedures are undertaken.
List of Lawyers
A list of English speaking lawyers who may be able to help you with official transactions in Mozambique. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above, for British nationals needing emergency consular assistance, we can:
- provide information about transferring funds
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child protection and abductions, kidnappings or someone who is missing abroad and how to make a missing persons report
- provide consular assistance to British nationals who are victims of rape or serious sexual assault or any other serious crime
- help in contacting your family or friends when you are not able to do yourself because you are ill, in hospital, have been arrested etc
- provide advice following the death of a British national in Mozambique, where possible we will try to notify the next of kin
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
- offer support and information when a British national is detained or arrested outside the UK
What consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money
- make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
- get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
- renew or replace a full British passport
British High Commission Maputo
Avenida Vladmir Lenine, 310
P.O. Box 55
Enquiries Telephone +258 21 35 60 00
Enquiries Mobile +258 82 313 8580
Enquiries Fax +258 21 35 60 60
The Consular Section at the British High Commission Maputo is open Monday to Friday, from 08:30 to 12:00, with the exception of holidays. For general enquiries, please call +258 21 35 60 00.Access and opening times