We represent the British government in Slovakia. We liaise with the Slovak government and institutions on behalf of UK ministries and official institutions, and support the UK’s priorities in Slovakia.

We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Slovakia. We are working on a wide range of issues including EU policies, trade relations, the single market, energy security and climate change.

Our services

Out-of-hours emergency assistance

British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +421 2 5998 20 00 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.

Emergency travel documents

Information about how to get an emergency travel document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.

Passport renewal

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website. Please note that our Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.


For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply go to the UK Border Agency website.

Please note that the Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about visa applications. For all visa enquiries, please contact the UK Border Agency.

Registering a birth or death

Understanding your legal requirements in Slovakia and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Getting married in Slovakia

British nationals need to have an affirmation of marital status signed at a local Notary Public in Slovakia. You need to bring the notarised affirmation to the local register office where the marriage shall take place. Please contact us on bratislava.consularenquiries@fco.gov.uk for templates of suggested affirmations.

The British Embassy in Bratislava does not issue/certify certificates of no impediment (CNIs) or similar documents.

Please contact the local authorities where you wish to get married to find out what else you need to do.

The British Embassy in Bratislava will continue to receive Notices of Marriage from British nationals permanently residing in Slovakia who wish to get married another country, where CNIs are still required by the local authorities in that country - you will need to book an appointment for this service: Clickbook

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.

What our consular section cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Travel advice for Slovakia

Travel advice for Slovakia. Information, news and updates for Slovakia to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or traveling in Slovakia.

Our people

Gill  Fraser

Gill Fraser

Chargé d’Affaires, British Embassy Bratislava

    Contact us

    British Embassy Bratislava

    Panská 16
    811 01 Bratislava

    Office hours: By appointment only. See access and opening times to make an appointment for notarial services.

    Access and opening times

    Help us improve GOV.UK

    Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.