Ambassador to Serbia
We are responsible for bilateral relations between the UK and Serbia. We work on a wide range of issues including Serbia’s EU accession agenda and political reforms, conflict prevention, defence cooperation, trade and investment, and the fight against organised crime.
The UK’s main goal in Serbia is to see the implementation of the political, economic and social reforms necessary for Serbia’s EU accession. We encourage Serbia to act positively in the region, to help encourage peace, security and reconciliation in the Western Balkans.
We work with our Serbian partners to improve the rule of law, and to develop a more competitive and investment-friendly environment.
We work with Serbia’s armed forces to share expertise, develop stronger ties, and encourage peace and security in Serbia and the wider region. Our police co-operation work, including through EU Twinning projects, is helping Serbia to combat serious and organised crime.
We provide consular support to British citizens.
Emergency consular assistance (24 hours)
For emergency assistance, such as in the event of the death, assault, arrest or hospitalisation of a British national, call the Embassy on +381 11 306 0900 and follow the instructions to be connected with consular officers.
Emergency travel documents
If your passport is lost, stolen, expired or otherwise unavailable, and you need to travel in the near future, then we may be able to provide an emergency travel document (ETD).
If you are due to travel in the next 48 hours, you should contact us immediately on the emergency consular assistance number above.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment with us using the links below.
Please call us for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country.
Read what an emergency travel document does.
Visit our travel advice for Serbia for information, news updates, to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling abroad.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or to renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.
Please note that our consular section can’t deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Healthcare in Serbia
Death of a British national
Notarial and documentary services
Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy does not provide them because in many cases local lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.
Read more about the notarial and documentary services we do provide, including how to book an appointment.
UK law says we have to charge for some services. See our list of consular fees.
Births, deaths and marriages
Information on how you can register a birth or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Legalisation of documents
Foreign authorities may require official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine. Find out more from the UK Legalisation Office.
List of lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and a list of interpreters who may be able to help you with legal advice or official translations in Serbia. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy Belgrade or the UK government.
British nationals detained or imprisoned in Serbia
The Embassy can provide help if you are arrested abroad.
The Embassy can provide further support following the detention of a British national and provides a prisoner information guide to help them and their families understand the local system in Serbia.
Living in Serbia
Useful information for British nationals living in Serbia, including where to find information on services provided by others.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above, for British nationals needing emergency consular assistance, we can:
- provide information about transferring funds
- offier support to people with mental illness and their families
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child protection and abductions, kidnappings or someone who is missing abroad and how to make a missing persons report
- provide consular assistance to British nationals who are victims of rape or serious sexual assault or any other serious crime
- help in contacting your family or friends when you are not able to do yourself because you are ill, in hospital, have been arrested, or find yourself in difficulty
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
For people needing assistance on the above matters please contact the Consular Section by calling us on +381 11 306 0900 or sending an email to the Consular Section.
What consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money
- make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
- get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
- renew or replace a full British passport
British Embassy Belgrade
Telephone +381 (11) 3060 900
Fax +381 (11) 3061 070
Please note that visa enquires to this mailbox will not be processed. If you have a visa enquiry or questions about the documents needed to enter the UK, please see the visa information above.
Consular email address: Belgrade.email@example.com
(Not for visa and passport matters)
(Consular enquiries only - not for visa or passport enquiries)
British nationals who need emergency assitance outside normal office hours should call +381 11 306 0900 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.