British Ambassador to Turkmenistan
We represent the British government in Turkmenistan, and work to develop and maintain relations between our two countries.
Our work covers bilateral political relations, regional and energy security and economic and development issues. We support British business and provide consular support for British nationals. We work with international organisations and registered NGOs to promote respect for human rights, the rule of law, good governance and political and social reform.
The Ambassador is supported by 16 members of staff.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Turkmenistan and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +993 12 36 34 62/64. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Turkmenistan call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.
You won’t be able to enter or transit Turkmenistan using a UK Emergency Travel Document (ETD). If your ETD has been issued in Turkmenistan, you will need an exit visa from the State Migration Service of Turkmenistan or Department of Visa and Registration before you can travel out of Turkmenistan. This process can take up to 5 working days.
- are over 16 years old and
- are a British citizen and
- have previously owned a British passport
- over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
- not a British citizen or
- applying for a child under 16 years old
Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Ashgabat.
Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Turkmenistan see travel advice for Turkmenistan.
Get a visa
The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
Marriage and civil partnerships
We can issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage or civil partnership for British nationals. For information on getting married in Turkmenistan see getting married abroad.
Register a birth or death
If the death occurred in Turkmenistan and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Read our guidance on coping with death abroad
Support if you’ve been arrested
We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Turkmenistan. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; make a certified copy of a document and witness a signature. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.
Ashgabat does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
Local service providers
Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Turkmenistan. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
What the embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Turkmenistan
Deputy Head of Mission to Turkmenistan
British Embassy Ashgabat
3rd Floor Office Building
Four Points Ak Altyn Hotel
Fax +99 312 363 465
Telephone +993 12 36 34 62/64 LineID:ukinturkmenistan
Consular enquiries: email@example.com
Visa enquiries: https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/
If you are having difficulty with the main telephone number for the Embassy, please try any of the following: +993 12 363463, 363464, 363466, 363498 or 363474; or call the FCO Switchboard in London on +44 (0)20 7008 1500 for assistance.
Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information.