We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Cote d’Ivoire.

Our work covers a range of issues including political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and Cote d’Ivoire. We provide emergency consular assistance to British nationals in Cote d’Ivoire. Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Cote d’Ivoire and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +44 (0)1908 516 666. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Cote d’Ivoire, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you have lost or had your passport stolen, contact us as soon as possible.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Cote d’Ivoire, see travel advice for Cote d’Ivoire.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We cannot issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status. For information on getting married in Cote d’Ivoire, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Cote d’Ivoire. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Cote d’Ivoire and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Cote d’Ivoire. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

British Embassy Abidjan does not provide notarial and documentary services. However, the embassy can provide a list of public notaries who might be able to offer notarial services.

Legalisation services

British Embassy Abidjan does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Cote d’Ivoire. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Cote d’Ivoire

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

The British Embassy Abidjan does not offer consular services such as notarial, documentary, legalisation, birth/death/marriage certificate, certified copies, etc. Accordingly, we do not collect consular fees.

Our people

Ms Josephine Gauld HMA

Ms Josephine Gauld HMA

British Ambassador to Côte d'Ivoire

Contact us

British Embassy Abidjan

Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne, Cocody Quartier Ambassades
Impasse du Belier, Rue A 58, 01 BP 2581 Abidjan 01

01 BP 2581
Cote d’Ivoire

Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am to 2:30 pm

For consular information and emergency assistance call +44 (0)1908 516 666 or +225 2244 2669

Access and opening times

Corporate information