We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and the Palestinian Territories. We deal with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and the Palestinian Territories.

The consulate in Jerusalem and its office in Gaza provide consular assistance to British nationals in Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza.

Our services

Visiting The Occupied Palestinian Territories

Travel advice

Information on staying safe and avoiding problems when living or travelling abroad, with links to our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.

For Consular enquiries and assistance, email: Consular.EnquiriesOPTs@fco.gov.uk. Please note that this email address is not for UK visa enquiries. All relevant information about the visa application process is available on the UK Visas and Immigration’s website.

Out-of-hours emergency assistance

If you are a British national in distress, and having difficulty reaching us on the consular telephone number, please call the FCO Switchboard in London on +44 (0)20 7008 1500 for assistance.

Living/Working in The Occupied Palestinian Territories

Information for British nationals residing in the OPTs and Israel.

Lost/Stolen Passports

Information about how to get an emergency travel document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.

We are unable to accept applications for emergency travel documents for first time passport applicants. First time passport applicants should apply for a Full Validity Passport and wait for this to issue before making travel plans. For emergency travel documents, book an appointment.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document at the British Consulate General in Jerusalem.

Emergency travel documents

We may be able to provide an emergency travel document if you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, you should contact your nearest consulate as soon as possible.

For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment at the British Consulate in Jerusalem. Please call your nearest consulate for advice before making an appointment if:

  • you have never applied for a British passport before
  • you are applying on behalf of a child

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Visas for the UK

We no longer issue visas for the United Kingdom at the Consulate General. You can apply for a visa at one of our Visa Application Centres in Jerusalem, Ramallah or Gaza City. Visas are issued at the British Embassy in Amman, which deals with applications made at the Visa Application Centres in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Jordan, Iraq, and Lebanon.

UK Visas and Immigration contact details can be found here. Please send your enquiries via this website, or alternatively you may call us using the contact details provided on our website. Please note that there is a charge for using some of these services, and these charges are clearly outlined on our website.

You can find out if you need a visa and how to apply on our visa pages. General information about entry requirements for all people travelling to the United Kingdom can be also be found here.

Notarial and documentary services

Information about notarial and documentary services available at the Consulate in Jerusalem.

Births, deaths

From 14 January 2015, UK birth registrations and death registrations in Jerusalem and the OPTs will transfer from the British Consulate General Jerusalem to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK.

There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The processing time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See www.gov.uk/register-a-birth or www.gov.uk/register-a-death for further information.

Legalisation Service

How to get official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine so it can be accepted by foreign authorities. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.

List of lawyers and translators

A list of English speaking lawyers and translators who may be able to help you with official transactions in Jerusalem and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate or the UK government.

List of medical facilities

A list of medical facilities who may be able to help you in the Occupied Palestinian Territories is available on this link. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate or the UK government.

List of Funeral Directors – Embalming Services

A list of funeral directors who may be able to help you in Jerusalem and the Occupied Palestinian Territories is available on this link

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained. Our prisoner pack explains the Legal and Prison system in the OPTs to British Nationals who are detained in Jerusalem and the OPTs at various stages from arrest through to sentencing and afterwards

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in all our consular offices.

What our Embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after you have been detained, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures

  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers

  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)

  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation

  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Our people

Contact us

British Consulate General Jerusalem, main contact

British Consulate General
15 Nashashibi Street
Sheikh Jarrah Quarter

East Jerusalem 97200
P O Box 19690
The Occupied Palestinian Territories

Access and opening times

British Information & Services Office

1st Floor, Al-Riyad Tower
Jerusalem Street
Al-Rimal South

The Occupied Palestinian Territories

Access and opening times