British Consul General, Erbil
The British Consulate General in Erbil represents the UK Government in Kurdistan Region and northern Iraq.
We also provide services at the British Embassy Baghdad.
Services for British nationals
If you’re in Erbil and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +44(0)1908 516666. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Iraq, call 020 7008 1500.
Get or renew a passport
The British Consulate can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.
Get an emergency travel document
If you need an emergency travel document and are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.
Book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British Consulate-General Erbil if you are not due to travel in the next 24 hours and:
- are over 16 years old and
- are a British citizen and
- have previously owned a British passport
- over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
- not a British citizen or
- applying for a child under 16 years old
Travel advice: For information and advice on travelling to Iraq, see travel advice for Iraq.
Get a visa
The British Consulate can’t help with visa enquiries.
If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.
If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.
For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.
Marriage and civil partnerships
For information on getting married in Iraq, see getting married abroad.
Register a birth or death
If you’re in the country where the death occurred, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.
Notarial and documentary services
We may be able to offer notarial services. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide in Baghdad.
British Consulate General Erbil provides legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.
Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).
List of lawyers and interpreters
Use our list of English speaking lawyers and interpreters if you need help with official transactions in Iraq. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.
Local service provider lists
We provide lists of:
Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate or the UK government.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad
For more information on the services we provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.
For general information on living in or planning to live in Iraq, see living in Iraq
What our consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we also cannot:
- help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Iraq
British Consulate General Erbil
Telephone +44(0)1908 516666
If you are a British National requiring urgent consular assistance, outside normal working hours, please call: +44 (0) 207 008 1500