Data on potential living standards as determined by disposable income in 2008/09, changes in income patterns over time and income mobility.
Ref: ISBN 978-1-84947-351-4 PDF, 1.53MB, 242 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This is the 21st edition of the households below average income (HBAI) series. This publication presents information on potential living standards as determined by disposable income in 2008/09, changes in income patterns over time and income mobility.
Find out how low income is measured.
The chapters in this publication include an overview of the background, changes over time and show:
- summary of key findings
- distribution of disposable income
- how different client groups (children, working-age adults and pensioners) are distributed across income quintiles
- the percentage of each client group below various fractions of median income
- the composition by client group of the total number of people below these thresholds
- material deprivation (children and pensioner chapters only)
- decile medians and quintile medians in real terms
- population estimates for key groups
- measures of income inequality
- percentages of groups with income below various fractions of contemporary median income
- percentages of groups with income below various fractions of base-year median income
The appendices in this publication include the glossary and definitions of the terms used, more detail on HBAI methodology and additional analyses including:
- opportunity for all indicators
- persistent low income statistics
Data tables and charts
Data tables and charts in spreadsheet format are also available as attachments within the main PDF publication.