VAT: application for registration - distance selling (VAT1A)

Use form VAT1A to register your business for distance selling into the UK.


Application for registration - distance selling (VAT1A)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use form VAT1A to register for UK VAT if you sell goods into the UK from another EU state known as ‘distance selling’.

Please send your completed application form to:

VAT Registration Service
HM Revenue and Customs
Crown House
Birch Street

When to register for UK VAT
Use this guide to find out when you must register for VAT and when you can choose to register.

How to register for VAT
Use this guide to find out what form or forms you need to register for VAT and how to register.

Published 4 April 2014
Last updated 20 January 2016 + show all updates
  1. VAT1A and VAT1A notes have been merged. Attached new PDF.
  2. Added translation