Universal Credit and work
How Universal Credit supports claimants in looking for work and what happens when they start a part-time or full-time job.
This guide describes how Universal Credit aims to make sure that people are better off in work than on benefits.
It explains what will be expected of claimants in return for their Universal Credit payments to help them reach their job goals. It covers the Claimant Commitment, and shows how the activities that claimants are expected to do will depend on their personal circumstances. This includes what will be expected of claimants who are already in work.
The guide also covers what happens when a claimant starts a new job, as well as those groups who will not be expected to carry out any work-related activity.
Part of the Universal Credit toolkit for partner organisations.
Published: 28 March 2013
Updated: 11 April 2016
- Updated to reflect changes to Universal Credit from April 2016.
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- Published November 2014 edition of the leaflet.
- Updated to include the latest information about the expansion of Universal Credit
- Detail updated to include more information about the contents of the document.
- First published.