Universal Credit and tax credits
An overview of how people who are claiming tax credits might be affected by Universal Credit.
This guide provides information on how Universal Credit affects tax credits, including what happens when someone claiming tax credits starts living with a Universal Credit claimant.
It includes information about:
- reporting changes in circumstances in tax credit claims
- how a tax credit claim is affected if Universal Credit is claimed
- how a tax credit claim is affected on moving in with a partner who receives Universal Credit
Part of the Universal Credit toolkit for partner organisations.
Published: 24 November 2014
Updated: 6 February 2017
- Added information and link to Money Advice Service money manager.
- Revised version with new information about the roll-out of Universal Credit.
- First published.