Self Assessment: register a partner for Self Assessment if they're not an individual (SA402)
Use the online forms service or the postal form to register a partner who isn't an individual for Self Assessment, for example a company or trust.
Ref: SA402 https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/SA_iForms/1.0/SA402_20167&template=SA402.xdp
Ref: SA402 PDF, 95.4KB, 1 page
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Use the SA402 to register a partner who isn’t an individual for Self Assessment. The person responsible for the partner, for example the trustee or company secretary, should sign the form.
To register you can:
- use the online service (you’ll need to log in to your tax account)
- fill in form on-screen, print and post to HM Revenue and Customs
Fill in the form fully before you print it as you can’t save a partly completed form so you should gather all your information together before you start to fill it in
If you’ve problems opening the online forms you can use the PDF version, you’ll have to print this and fill it in by hand before posting it to HMRC.
Before you start
If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
HMRC are creating new versions of their forms that don’t depend on Adobe Reader. Whilst this work is in progress the following methods can be used to ensure the form will download or open in Adobe Reader:
- Windows users should right click on the form link then select ‘Save target as’ or ‘Save link as’
- Mac users should right click on the form link then select “Save linked file as”
- save the form - the recommended place is in the documents folder
- using Adobe Reader you can open the form
If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer you can review your settings to make Adobe Reader the default program for opening PDF documents. If the form still doesn’t open, for further advice contact the Online Services helpdesks.
Related forms and guidance
Published: 15 July 2014
Updated: 5 April 2016
- Rates, allowances and duties have been updated for the tax year 2016 to 2017.
- An online service is now available.
- Welsh version of SA402 added to the page.
- First published.