Waste management: regulation of trials of new waste management techniques
- Environment Agency
- Part of:
- Environmental permits: regulatory position statements, Waste and recycling, and Business and the environment
- 17 April 2014
- Last updated:
- 29 December 2015, see all updates
- Applies to:
This guidance describes how the Environment Agency regulates trials of new waste management techniques.
This regulatory position statement sets out the criteria an operator needs to meet when carrying out a trial of a new waste management technique.
It also explains the approach the Environment Agency will take to permitting requirements when:
- a permitted site wants to trial changes to an existing process, for example without applying to vary their existing permit
- a non-permitted site wants to trial the development of a new process, for example without having to apply for a permit
An operator undertaking regular trials should apply to vary their environmental permit. Multiple or repeated trials will not be allowed.
Published: 17 April 2014
Updated: 29 December 2015
- RPS 182 (Regulating trials of waste management operations) has been updated.
- First published.