If you do not live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory, you can apply online.
You can get help to make your online application if you are in the UK and you do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete an online immigration application form.
Use this form to register as a British citizen, a British overseas territories citizen, a British overseas citizen or a British subject if:
- you live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory
- you are a stateless person (not recognised as a national of any country)
- you were born on or after 1 January 1983
- you were born outside the UK and UK overseas territories
You can also use this paper form if you live elsewhere and want to apply by post. You will need to submit your documents with your application.
Most people who live in the UK and apply online are able to keep their documents while their application is processed.
You should read:
Send the form and payment slip (including the fee) and your documents to:
- the Lieutenant Governor if you are in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man
- the Governor of the territory if you are in a British Overseas Territory
- UK Visas and Immigration at the following postal address if you live elsewhere:
UK Visas and Immigration
The Capital Building
New Hall Place