Form S: guidance

Guidance to register for British citizenship if you are a stateless person.


Form S: guidance

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Read the S guidance to find out if you can register as a British citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British overseas citizen if:

  • you are a stateless person (not recognised as a national of any country) born before, on or after 1 January 1983
  • you were born outside the UK and UK overseas territories
  • you were born in the UK or a British overseas territory
Published 22 March 2019