New reforms will make public contracts more accessible to businesses, and in particular to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
This note provides guidance on reforms which include:
- removing a pre-qualification stage for procurements below the EU thresholds
- a requirement for contracting authorities to include provisions to ensure prompt payment through the supply chain
- a requirement to advertise public sector opportunities in one place (Contracts Finder)
These reforms are implemented in Part 4 of the new Public Contracts Regulations 2015. The Regulations will, primarily, come into force on 26 February 2015.
For further guidance for contracting authorities on implementing these reforms, see:
- transparency requirements for publishing on Contracts Finder
- paying invoices in 30 days down the supply chain
- requirements on pre-qualification questionnaires
- Lord Young reform frequently asked questions
Read further guidance on transposing the EU procurement directives.
Published: 18 February 2015
Updated: 4 March 2015
- Added frequently asked questions link.
- Added related guidance.
- First published.