Personal Independence Payment handbook
Detailed guidance about Personal Independence Payment – the benefit for people with a health condition or disability.
This handbook is for individuals and organisations that support people who may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It provides up to date information about PIP and lists other sources of help for claimants.
The handbook covers:
- the conditions of entitlement
- assessment criteria
- access to other benefits and services
- reassessing existing DLA claimants
- how to make a claim
- completing the ‘How your disability affects you’ form
- assessment process and assessment providers
- decision and payment
- changes in circumstance
- special rules for terminal illness
- supporting young people to claim
- disputes process
Previously published PIP factsheets
This handbook replaces the collection of previously available PIP factsheets.
Published: 3 September 2013
Updated: 26 April 2016
- Revised version of handbook (version 8, April 2016), updated to include information about the British Sign Language (BSL) Video Relay Service trial.
- Replaced English handbook with update to 'PIP and existing DLA claimants: From July 2015' (page 16).
- Added revised English version of PIP handbook with updated information relating to existing DLA claimants.
- Updated the English version of the PIP handbook with information about extending reassessments of Disability Living Allowance claimants for PIP from 13 July 2015.
- Updated English version of the handbook with updated guidance on the evidence required to help us assess PIP claims.
- Updated and condensed existing guidance into a new handbook for individuals and organisations that support PIP claimants.
- Factsheet updated with new information on how long to expect claims to take and new processes for special rules for terminal illness claims.
- Details added to factsheets about extending reassessment areas. DWP will ask existing DLA claimants to claim PIP instead, under certain conditions.
- Reformatted fact sheet pack, removed fact sheet 5:Introducing PIP for new claimants (8 April 2013) and added a postcode map showing the parts of the UK in scope for PIP reassessments from October 2013.
- Amendment to table of DWP benefits and schemes on page 36.
- We are delaying the reassessment for some DLA claimants by 3 weeks until 28 October, following the consultation on the PIP ‘moving around’ assessment criteria, to give the government more time to consider responses and to respond.
- First published.