National Insurance: application for Home Responsibilities Protection (CF411)

Use the online form service or postal form CF411 to apply for Home Responsibilities Protection.


Apply online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Apply for Home Responsibilities Protection using the postal form (CF411)

Notes to help you fill in the application for Home Responsibilities Protection

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


To apply for Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP), you can use either:

  • the online service
  • the postal form CF411

To apply online you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

If you’re applying for HRP as a foster carer you’ll need to send HMRC a copy of an up-to-date letter of confirmation from the local authority or fostering agency.

If you’re applying for HRP for a period when you cared for a sick or disabled person in receipt of benefits, you’ll need to send HMRC evidence to show the allowance or benefits were paid to cover at least 48 of the weeks for each year you’re claiming HRP.

If you’re using the online service

You can submit the letter of confirmation or other supporting evidence you need to provide by attaching it to the online form. If you submit it using the online form, the plan should be no more than 5MB in PDF or JPEG format.

If you’re sending the postal form

If you want to submit your letter of confirmation or supporting evidence by post, send it together with the postal application form, to the address shown below.

Send the form with any supporting evidence you need to provide to:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office

You’ll need to fill in the postal form on-screen fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so you should gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser, for example Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

Child Benefit: claim form (CH2)
Use the on screen form CH2 to claim Child Benefit. If you can’t open the form use the ‘print then complete’ version.

National Insurance: credits for parents and carers (CF411A)
Use form CF411A to apply for National Insurance credits if you’re a parent or carer of a child under 12.

Published 26 February 2014
Last updated 2 May 2019 + show all updates
  1. The address to use to get more information or advice about Home Responsibilities Protection application has been changed in the English version.
  2. Address to send the postal form CF411 has changed.
  3. An online form service is now available.
  4. First published.