- Cabinet Office
- Part of:
- Identity assurance: delivering trusted transactions and Central government efficiency
- 6 January 2014
- Last updated:
- 3 November 2014, see all updates
This good practice guide (GPG 45) provides guidance on the identity proofing and verification of an individual using online services.
This guide shows how a combination of the following can provide various levels of assurance around proving an identity:
- the breadth of evidence
- the strength of the evidence
- the validation and verification processes carried out
- a history of the user’s activity
The guidance aims to:
- provide organisations with an understanding of the capabilities they will need to be able to demonstrate in order to perform identity proofing
- provide information to independent assessment organisations so that benchmarks or profiles can be developed to support the independent assessment and certification of organisational and technical capabilities
- establish a common framework establishing requirements for the validation and verification of the identity of individuals
Published: 6 January 2014
Updated: 3 November 2014
- New version of the guide published.
- First published.