Deductions from benefit: how creditors can apply

Guidance for new creditors, for example, utility suppliers and landlords, on how to apply for deductions from a claimant's benefit.



In certain circumstances, when a claimant is struggling to manage their money and can no longer pay household bills, DWP can deduct money from their benefit and pay it to a creditor or supplier to clear a debt. The deductions are called ‘third party deductions’. This guidance explains how to apply for deductions from:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit

Deductions can only be made if there’s no other way to clear the debts without putting the welfare of the customer or their family at risk.

Universal Credit claimants

There is separate guidance to request deductions from Universal Credit to clear a debt for:

More information about deductions from benefit

Read more about how the deductions from benefit scheme works and how to report changes.

Published 30 August 2013
Last updated 1 May 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated email address for online Council Tax deduction requests in section 7 of 'A guide for local authorities – arrears of Council Tax'.
  2. Published new guidance to clarify how to apply for deductions.
  3. First published.