This publication was withdrawn on
This document has been replaced by the ‘Governance handbook’.
Departmental advice outlining governors' roles and duties.
Ref: DFE-00050-2013 PDF, 1.02MB, 111 pages
Ref: DFE-00050-2013 MS Word Document, 1.03MB
PDF, 26.7KB, 4 pages
This departmental advice is for governing bodies in:
- maintained schools
- academies and free schools
The ‘Statutory policies for schools’ page outlines the policies and other documents school governing bodies are legally required to hold.
If you are are governor looking for more advice, you can contact GovernorLine free of charge.
Contact form https://www.education....
Telephone 08000 722 181
Textphone 0845 604 1230
Telephone line is open:
Monday to Friday from 9am to 8pm
The line is closed on bank holidays.
Published: 14 May 2013
Updated: 3 March 2014
- Replaced out-of-date statutory policy documents with a link to the up-to-date ones.
- Added contact details for GovernorLine.
- Replaced governors handbook Word 2010 version (.docx) with Word 1997-2003 version (.doc)
- Updated both versions of the statutory policies for governing bodies downloads.
- Added word version of the handbook.
- Updated the handbook with the January 2014 version.
- First published.