Apply for a judicial review of a decision: Form N461

Use this form to ask the Administrative Court for permission to proceed with a claim for a judicial review, and to give details of the claim.


Judicial review claim form: N461

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can use this form to ask the Administrative Court to review a decision made by people or bodies with a public law function, such as a local authority, court or minister.

You must make the claim in the appropriate Administrative Court in:

  • the Royal Courts of Justice, London
  • Birmingham
  • Leeds
  • Manchester
  • Cardiff

You must file the claim within certain time scales.

You can also read guidance on bringing a judicial review case in the Administrative Court.

Find out more about bringing a case to the Administrative Court.

Check court and tribunal fees and find out if you can get help with fees.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 February 2017
Last updated 24 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Added Welsh version of the page

  2. Changes made to form following amendments to the civil procedure rules on judicial review, to bring it up to date.

  3. Added revised Welsh Form N461.

  4. Added revised N461 form.

  5. First published.