Form N11R: Defend a claim for possession of a rented property

Tenants can use this form to tell the court why they have rent arrears and if they disagree with what their landlord has put on the ‘claim for possession’ form.


Defence form

Ffurflen Amddiffyniad (adeilad preswyl ar rent) / Defence form (Rented residential premises)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


A court will send this form to the defendant with the claim for possession. The court will also tell the defendant the date of the hearing.

If you want to respond to the claim, you should complete the form and return it to the court within 14 days of receiving it.

Find out more about private renting for tenants: evictions.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 April 2006
Last updated 9 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Statement of truth amended.

  2. First published.