Execution of deeds (PG8)
Advice on the execution of deeds that are to be submitted to Land Registry (practice guide 8).
The aim of this guide is to advise on the execution of deeds that are to be submitted to Land Registry. It is aimed at conveyancers, and you should interpret references to ‘you’ accordingly.
How to avoid Land Registry requisitions
Watch this video about execution of deeds and powers of attorney.
This is part of a series of videos on how to avoid requisitions.
We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.
Published: 13 October 2003
Updated: 14 February 2017
- Section 1.1 has been amended and a new section 11 added to explain when electronic documents with electronic signatures can be deemed to be deeds.
- Section 11.3 has been added which shows the wording of form 7 in Schedule 3 to the Land Registration Rules 2003 referred to in section 6 of this guide. Appendix 2 has been added to show examples where there is only one witness to multiple signatures.
- Section 3.2 has been amended to make it clear that where a deed is being executed by the director and secretary of a limited company, they must be two separate people.
- Section 6.2 has been amended to make it clear that an opinion given by a lawyer practising in a foreign jurisdiction must not be conditional or qualified in any way.
- Video about How to avoid Land Registry requisitions: Execution of deeds and powers of attorney added
- We have updated section 2 to clarify the attestation process when there are multiple signatures.
- We have updated section 6 to take out reference to a legal opinion as rule 183(2) of the Land Registration Rules 2003 states that the evidence of constitution to be provided must be either the constitution itself or a certificate in form 7.
- Link to the advice we offer added.
- Section 2.1.2 has been amended to confirm that one party to the deed cannot witness the signature of another party to the deed.
- Section 5.4 has been amended as a result of the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014.
- Welsh translation added.
- First published.