Edible dormice: licence to trap them (CL02)

Get a licence to trap edible dormice for health and safety and other purposes.


Edible dormice: licence to trap them (CL02)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This licence allows you to trap edible dormice (also known as fat dormice) to preserve public health and safety and to prevent serious damage to crops, fruit, timber and other property. It allows you to use the following methods:

  • appropriate live capture traps
  • approved spring traps

Note that edible dormice that are captured alive must not be released into the wild and must be humanely killed.

Register to use this licence

This is a class licence. You need to notify Natural England in writing that you wish to use it. Write to or email:

Wildlife licensing

Natural England
Horizon House
Deanery Road


How to report your actions

You must send an annual record of all edible dormice captured under this licence to Natural England by 31 January each year. Doing this also renews your registration to use this licence.

Published 6 October 2014
Last updated 1 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2019
  2. Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2018
  3. Annual licence update 2017.
  4. Replaced licence with new version issued on 1 January 2016.
  5. Added revised version of licence. Change to requirements for applicants under note 'g' and information on protected sites under note 'v'.
  6. Updated class licence. New version valid from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
  7. First published.