Badgers: survey or research licence (A25)

Apply for a licence to kill, take, disturb or possess a badger for survey, research or conservation work, find out about references and how to report your actions.


Application form for a licence to survey or research badgers (A25)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use application form (A25) to apply for a licence to carry out surveys, research for scientific or educational purposes, or conservation work. The licence allows you to:

  • kill, take, sell or possess badgers
  • disturb badgers in their setts or disturb their setts


You usually need to provide references when you apply for this licence if:

  • you haven’t held a licence for the species or a similar species for the last 3 years
  • you want to use methods for which you haven’t previously been licensed

How to report your actions

You must report any actions you took using this licence on the report form. You must report no later than 2 weeks after your licence expires, even if you’ve taken no action. Send your completed form by post or email to Natural England using the details on the form.

You can also use the report form to renew your licence.

Published 6 October 2014
Last updated 2 April 2015 + show all updates
  1. Updated version of application form added.
  2. First published.