Data protection: privacy notice model documents
Suggested privacy notices for schools and local authorities to issue to staff, parents and pupils about the collection of data.
Under The Data Protection Act 1998, when an organisation collects personal information about an individual it must make that information available to the individual.
Schools and local authorities can use and amend these examples of privacy notices to suit their local needs and circumstances.
We encourage you to discuss the suggested text with your own data protection adviser in order to reflect local policies.
You can issue privacy notices in a number of ways, for example:
- as part of a school brochure or induction pack, or in a school diary
- on the school notice board
- as part of a staff contract or induction pack
- on the staff notice board
- on the school or local authority website
A child receiving social care services or a looked-after child could receive their privacy notice with information about the services you offer.