School workforce census: guide to submitting data
How local authorities, local-authority-maintained schools and academies should collect and submit data for the school workforce census.
The school workforce census is a statutory data collection that takes place each autumn. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The census collects data on all teaching and support staff in regular employment, including those working for:
- local authorities on central contracts
- local-authority-maintained schools
free schools, including:
- studio schools
- university technical colleges
- pupil referral units (local authority establishments that provide education for children who can’t attend a mainstream school)
Local authorities are responsible for:
- co-ordinating and approving the submission of census data from all their maintained schools
- submitting data for centrally employed school staff
Academies are responsible for submitting and approving their own census data.
Local authorities, local-authority-maintained schools and academies should issue privacy notices to all members of staff. Privacy notices inform staff members about the details of the census and their rights under the Data Protection Act.
Dates for the 2017 census:
- census day: 2 November 2017
- deadline for submitting your data: 1 December 2017
Submit your data
You should submit data to us using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
School workforce census documents
These documents will help you complete the census:
2017 school workforce census guides
These guides will be available soon.
2017 school workforce census technical guides
If you wish to request XSLT files for the validation rules and school summary report, contact the Data Collection Helpdesk via the service request form.
If you’re looking for guides from past collections of the school workforce census, visit the ‘School workforce census: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘school workforce census’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 4 April 2017
- Added dates for the 2017 census and a link to the 'School workforce census 2017: business and technical specification'.
- Added a link to COLLECT report guides for people who submit data (source) and people who check the submitted data is correct (agent).
- Added link to 'School workforce census 2016: notepad entries for COLLECT queries'.
- Added COLLECT user guides for schools and local authorities.
- Added a link to 'School workforce census 2016: LAs with centrally employed staff'.
- Added links to the 2016 school summary report technical specification and guide for school-employed staff.
- Added dates for the 2016 census.
- Added a link to 'School workforce census 2015: notepad entries for COLLECT queries'.
- Added links to 2015 COLLECT guides and a guide for centrally employed staff'
- Added link to 'School workforce census 2015: guide for school-employed staff'.
- Added a link to the XML schema files and the school summary report technical specification for the 2015 census.
- Added link to 'School workforce census 2015: business and technical specification'.
- Added link to 'XML generators' page in the technical area.
- Added school workforce census 2014 guides and COLLECT guides.
- Added link to 'School workforce census 2014: early warning letter'.
- Added link to 'Access database 2014 collection'.
- Added links to XML schema and XSLT validation files.
- First published.