How local authorities should collect and submit data to complete the children’s social work workforce census.
The children’s social work workforce census is an annual statutory census for all local authorities. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
The census covers the year from 1 October to 30 September.
It collects data on all children and family social worker staff employed during the census year. This includes staff:
- who were employed on or before 30 September
- who left employment during the census year
- who were employed through an agency on or before 30 September
2016 to 2017 census dates:
- the census opens on Monday 2 October 2017
- the deadline for submitting data is Thursday 30 November 2017
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
We’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following guidance document will help you complete the 2016 to 2017 census:
If you need help
For complex questions, please use the service request form. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so that you can access COLLECT
- ‘Children and family social work workforce return’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.