UKSV National Security Vetting: change of personal circumstances

Change of personal circumstances form from United Kingdom Security Vetting. Only for use by holders of a current DV, SC, Level 1B or CTC security clearance.


Change of Personal Circumstances

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


UKSV has introduced a new process to allow a Change of Personal Circumstances (CPC) to be submitted via the NSVS portal. Clearance holders are asked to use the CPC portal service if at all possible.

You no longer need to download and email a copy of the Change of Personal Circumstances (CPC) form to UKSV, unless your organisation has specific agreement with UKSV that a manual form is required.

A copy of the form is retained on this page for use only in those exceptional circumstances.

If you hold a DV, SC, Level 1B or CTC security clearance and there is a significant change to your personal circumstances you should notify UKSV.

All holders of a valid clearance can access the CPC portal service via NSVS.

Please follow the new process via the CPC portal wherever possible.

However, should you still need to submit a Change of Personal Circumstances form manually and your organisation has prior agreement with UKSV, open the attached PDF document on this page and enter your details. Save a copy of the completed CPC to your desktop, then email the completed form as an attachment to

Please note that from 1st December 2022 the old CPC mailbox has been permanently closed.

How to contact UKSV

When to inform UKSV of a change of personal circumstances

As a holder of national security clearance, you have a responsibility to report any change in your personal circumstances which could potentially affect your clearance, using the process set out above. You are required to report the following events:

  • Change of name (please note we do not automatically require a CPC if you get married to a current partner but if you change your name for any reason, including marriage, we will require a CPC - please see the guidance below)
  • Change of nationality
  • New partner. The definition of a partner, for security vetting purposes, is either your spouse, a cohabiting partner, someone with whom you are in an enduring sexual and/or romantic relationship, or someone with whom you see a committed or enduring future.
  • Divorce, or dissolution of a Civil Partnership
  • DV holders only; Change of co-resident (lodger, housemate, au pair, live-in domestic staff)
  • Involvement with the Police  (if you are arrested, refused bail, have received a police caution, reprimand or warning, or are convicted of an offence - other than minor road traffic offences)
  • SC/DV holders only; Significant change in financial circumstances (bankruptcy, receiving a large inheritance, suffering substantial financial impact due to divorce or the dissolution of a civil partnership). 

If you have changed your gender, there is currently no need to update UKSV with this information, and we do not require a copy of your Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) as gender change is not a national security concern.

However, if you have changed your name for any reason, including marriage or gender change, then we will need to be informed of this.

UKSV requires a Change of Personal Circumstance form when someone has received a legal document confirming a change of name, such as:

  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • enrolled deed poll
  • unenrolled deed poll or change of name deed
  • statutory declaration or affidavit
  • baptismal or confirmation certificate (for first names only)
  • birth certificate
  • certificate of naturalisation or registration
  • adoption order/certificate
  • Application Form 24 (recording Changes of Forename(s) and Surname(s) in Scotland)

Whilst there is no requirement to update UKSV regarding a change in gender, if you;

  • Have changed your gender but you haven’t changed your name legally
  • Have changed your pronouns
  • Have not yet received your legal documents
  • Intend on keeping your name as it is legally but would like to add an alias

You are very welcome to use the NSVS portal to update us of this, using the change of name section and adding more detail. To reiterate, in these circumstances this is a personal choice, and your security clearance will not be impacted if you do not do this.

We would encourage all applicants that in any future interactions with us, such as a clearance renewal interview, you inform us of how you would like to be addressed, including name and pronouns, to ensure that any conversations with you are respectful and inclusive.

More information on your data and privacy can be found on this link

Published 1 September 2011
Last updated 23 May 2024 + show all updates
  1. Clarification of guidance about when clearance holders are required to notify a change of personal circumstances

  2. Guidance added re change of gender

  3. Guidance updated to reflect new CPC portal process and mailbox change for manual forms

  4. Attachment has been updated to an interactive version

  5. Updated guidance on submitting the completed form.

  6. Guidance for sending forms electronically whilst Covid-19 measures are in place has been added.

  7. Replaced form with the latest version

  8. Replaced form with latest version

  9. Updated form with latest version

  10. Replaced form with latest edition

  11. Change from DBS NSV to UKSV

  12. Added note to alert customers about difficulty with opening forms.

  13. Added updated NSV004 form.

  14. First published.