Approval of stability by vessel type

Maritime and Coastguard Agency information about who can authorise stability approval.


Approval of stability: authorisations for stability approval by vessel type

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Refer to this document to check who’ll be responsible for stability approval for your vessel. Authorisation for stability approval depends on the type of vessel you have.

The authorisation will come from one of the following:

  • Maritime Coastguard Agency
  • classification societies
  • certifying authority

If in doubt contact the MCA stability unit.

Stability Unit
Telephone: 0141 887 6399

Published 1 May 2014