Apply for identification numbers for new-build trailers

You need to apply for a trailer identification number (a 'ministry number') to be allocated to a new-build trailer if you'll be applying to use it on the road.


Application for identification numbers for new build trailers

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use this form to apply for a trailer identification number - a ministry number - to be allocated to a new build trailers (category O2, O3 and O4), for which a future application of ‘Permission to supply a large goods trailer for use on the road (TES1)’ will also need to be made.

Your application may be delayed if you don’t fill in all relevant sections.

Send your application using the technical application system.

Published 26 June 2014