Air accident monthly bulletin May 2017
The AAIB Bulletin is a compilation of AAIB reports and is published on the second Thursday of the month.
PDF, 9.65MB, 68 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
May Bulletin 5/2017
AAIB Field Investigations
A field investigation is an independent investigation in which AAIB investigators collect, record and analyse evidence.
The process may include, attending the scene of the accident or serious incident; interviewing witnesses; reviewing documents, procedures and practices; examining aircraft wreckage or components; and analysing recorded data.
The investigation, which can take a number of months to complete, will conclude with a published report.
General Aviation - Fixed wing
- Slingsby T67M MKII (G-BNSO), entered a spin and impacted a ploughed field near Whitwell, North Yorkshire, 30 April 2016
- Socata TB20 (G-SCIP), nose landing gear collapse, Sleap Airfield, Shropshire, 19 July 2016
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Ikarus C42 FB100 (G-CDNR), loss of control on takeoff, near Burrows Lane, Middle Stoke, Kent, 20 March 2016
AAIB Correspondence Investigations
These are reports on accidents and incidents which were not subject to a Field Investigation.
They are wholly, or largely, based on information provided by the aircraft commander in an Aircraft Accident Report Form (AARF) and in some cases additional information from other sources.
The accuracy of the information provided cannot be assured.
- Pioneer 400 (G-CPPG), landing gear collapsed on landing, Thruxton Aerodrome, Hampshire, 23 August 2016
- Pioneer 300 Hawk (G-CFUE), nosewheel detached on landing, Westonzoyland Airfield, Somerset, 8 January 2017
- Europa XS (G-BYSA), runway excursion resulting in ditching in the sea, Hollym Airfield, East Riding of Yorkshire, 10 August 2016
- Piper PA-28-181 (G-BPAY), collision with a parked aircraft while taxiing, White Waltham Airfield, Berkshire, 29 December 2016
- Reims Cessna F172N (G-DUVL), failure of the right landing gear leg, White Waltham Airfield, Berkshire, 20 December 2016
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Pegasus Quik (G-CDMU), landing mishap and collision with a fence, private strip, Hawksview, Cheshire, 30 July 2016
- Rotorsport UK Cavalon (G-EVAA), part of engine cowling detached in flight, Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green Airport, Staffordshire, 11 December 2016
- Gyroplane (RA-0542A), loss of control on takeoff, Popham Airfield, Hampshire, 25 August 2016
- Thruster T600N 450 (G-OASJ), unstable approach, collided with trees, Bradley’s Lawn Airfield, Heathfield, East Sussex, 14 September 2016
- Zenair 601XL (54-ASJ), crashed after takeoff, near Sandown Airport, Isle of Wight, 22 August 2015
This section contains Addenda, Corrections and a list of the ten most recent Air Accident reports published by the AAIB.