Air accident monthly bulletin August 2017
The AAIB Bulletin is a compilation of AAIB reports and is published on the second Thursday of the month.
PDF, 3.05MB, 60 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
August Bulletin 8/2017
AAIB Field Investigations
A field investigation is an independent investigation in which AAIB investigators collect, record and analyse evidence.
The process may include, attending the scene of the accident or serious incident; interviewing witnesses; reviewing documents, procedures and practices; examining aircraft wreckage or components; and analysing recorded data.
The investigation, which can take a number of months to complete, will conclude with a published report.
General Aviation - Fixed wing
- Druine D.31 Turbulent (G-ARNZ), engine ingested balloon fragment causing loss of power, ditched by beach, Herne Bay, Kent, 14 August 2016
AAIB Correspondence Investigations
These are reports on accidents and incidents which were not subject to a Field Investigation.
They are wholly, or largely, based on information provided by the aircraft commander in an Aircraft Accident Report Form (AARF) and in some cases additional information from other sources.
The accuracy of the information provided cannot be assured.
Commercial Air Transport
- Airbus A320-214 (G-EZTK), avionics fan failure causing vibration and fumes in the cockpit. In the cruise, between Paphos and Athens, 20 January 2017
- Airbus A320-214 (G-EZTM), moved and struck ground equipment whilst parked, Stand 559, London Gatwick Airport, 26 March 2017
- DHC-6 Series 310 (G-BVVK), runway excursion during landing roll, Tiree Airport, Isle of Tiree, 7 March 2017
- Aerotechnik EV-97 Eurostar Sl (G-CHMW), stalled during flare, Brown Shutters Farm Airfield, Somerset, 7 May 2017
- Bell 206B Jet Ranger III (G-BTHY), entanglement with a recreational kite, Sandwich Bay, Kent, 19 February 2017
- Denney Kitfox Mk 3 (G-DJNH), collision with obstacle during practice go-around, Eshott Airfield, Northumberland, 14 April 2017
- DH82A Tiger Moth (G-ANSM), forced landing due to jammed rudder, near Sibson Airport, Cambridgeshire, 4 February 2017
- Grumman AA-5 (G-BBSA), engine cowl opened after takeoff, Durham Tees Valley Airport, 22 May 2017
- Hughes 500 model 369E (G-MRRR), loss of control during approach to land, private site near Reading, Berkshire, 24 March 2017
- Isaacs Fury II (G-BBVO), forced landing due to fuel starvation, near Langham Airstrip, Norfolk, 25 March 2017
- Jodel D112 (G-BIAH), nosed over on landing, Barton Ashes Airstrip, Hampshire, 7 May 2017
- Jodel DR100A (G-BFBA), ground loop on landing, Dunkeswell Aerodrome, Devon, 23 January 2017
- Piper PA-28-161 (G-BNSZ), pilot injured by the propeller, Halfpenny Green Airfield, Staffordshire, 9 April 2017
- Pitts S-2A (G-SKNT), aircraft overturned during a forced landing following engine failure, Cockshutt, Ellesmere, Shropshire, 17 March 2017
- Socata TB9 (G-JUFS), bounced landing, Thruxton Airfield, Hampshire, 9 April 2017
- Zenair CH 701SP (G-TORI), loss of control during crosswind landing, Old Sarum Airfield, Wiltshire, 26 May 2017
Sport Aviation / Balloons
- Denney Kitfox Mk 2 (G-TWTW), main landing gear collapsed during forced landing, Redlands Airfield, Swindon, Wiltshire, 25 March 2017
- Mainair Blade (G-CCXR), aircraft stalled while avoiding power lines at low level and fell into a river, Near Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, 9 March 2017
- Mercury (G-MYUB), pilot struck on his face by the propeller, Otherton Airport, Staffordshire, 26 March 2017
- Rotorsport UK MTOsport (G-RMTO), controlled flight into terrain (CFIT), Great Knoutberry Hill, Cumbria, 29 April 2017
- Savannah VG Jabiru(1) (G-WHYS), lift strut found to be distorted after flight in turbulence, In flight from Swanwick to Swansea Airport, 13 March 2017