- Department of Health and Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- 3 November 2017
A joint response to the Accelerated Access Review (AAR), setting out how government will improve patient access to breakthrough technologies and treatments.
Making a reality of the Accelerated Access Review: improving patient access to breakthrough treatments
PDF, 2.69MB, 18 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The AAR made a series of recommendations to enable the NHS to:
- improve patient outcomes
- use the UK’s strong biosciences research and life sciences industrial base
- enhance the international competitiveness of our life sciences industry
The response to this review sets out how government will work with industry and the health system to create an approvals system so that cost-effective breakthrough products can get to NHS patients as fast as possible.
Key elements of this response include:
- an Accelerated Access Collaborative that will develop an accelerated access pathway to bring breakthrough products to market and then to patients as quickly as possible
- £86 million government funding to support innovators and the NHS in overcoming barriers to getting new, innovative technologies to patients quickly
- improved NHS England commercial capacity and capability to deliver deals that achieve better value for the NHS and innovators
Published: 3 November 2017