The Rt Hon Oliver Letwin served as Minister for Government Policy in the Cabinet Office from May 2010 until 14 July 2016. He also served as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from July 2014 until 14 July 2016. Oliver was elected Conservative MP for West Dorset in 1997.
Oliver studied at Eton College, then Trinity College, Cambridge. He has a PhD in philosophy.
After joining the Shadow Cabinet in 2000, he held the following positions:
- Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury from 2000 to 2001
- Shadow Home Secretary from 2001 to 2003
- Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2003 to 2005
- Shadow Environment Secretary in 2005
- Chairman of the Policy Review from 2005 to 2010
Career outside politics
He taught philosophy at the University of Cambridge. He has also worked as a civil servant in Margaret Thatcher’s policy unit and as a bank director.
Oliver is married with 2 children.