The Coal Authority manages the effects of past coal mining, including subsidence damage claims which are not the responsibility of licensed coal mine operators. It deals with mine water pollution and other mining legacy issues.
It also owns, on behalf of the country, the majority of the coal in Britain, and licenses coal mining.
Who we are
Most of our staff are based in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. We also have regional engineers based in the coalfield areas of Britain so we can respond quickly to mining safety issues wherever they occur.
We’re responsible for:
- licensing coal mining in Britain
- managing the safety issues that have resulted from years of coal mining
- dealing with water pollution caused by mining
- communicating information to the public
- making our information available so that informed decisions can be made
Our priorities are to:
- continue to deliver our statutory duties
- continue to look for new, cost-effective ways to deal with issues from historic coal mining
- partner with businesses to develop new commercial products and services
- partner with businesses to carry out research and development projects that improve our products and services