Personal information charter

This charter explains how we handle and share your personal information, and what we need from you to keep it up to date.

How we use your information

When we ask you for personal information, we promise to:

  • make sure you know why we need it
  • only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
  • protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
  • let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services - and whether you can say no
  • make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary

We won’t make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.

In return, we ask you to:

  • give us accurate information
  • tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address

This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.

You can get more details on:

  • how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
  • our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
  • how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
  • how to make a complaint

For more information, contact

How to find out what personal information we hold about you

You have a right to request a copy of your personal details at any time to check the accuracy of the information held. Email your request to, or write to us at:

Data Protection Officer
Coal Authority
200 Lichfield Lane
NG18 4RG

You should:

  • be specific about the information you want
  • explain why you expect us to hold your personal information (if it isn’t obvious)
  • include proof of identity

Proof of identity

Before we can act on your request, you will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include:

  • a photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence
  • the original of a current utilities bill (for example, gas or electricity), or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address

These can be returned to you if required.

If you do not have any of these forms of identification, contact the Data Protection Officer, who will help you.

Data protection

When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 545 745

Fax: 01625 524 510

Website: The Information Commissioner