The Planning Inspectorate deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications, examinations of local plans and other planning-related and specialist casework in England and Wales.
The Planning Inspectorate’s job is to make decisions and provide recommendations and advice on a range of land use planning-related issues across England and Wales. We do this in a fair, open and timely way.
A fair planning system
The right to appeal a planning decision made by a local authority is a key feature of the planning system, as is appealing when an authority is taking too long. While there will always be those who agree with planning inspectors’ decisions and those who do not, we always operate fairly.
Helping meet future infrastructure needs
Further economic growth will be underpinned by sustainable development across a number of sectors, particularly energy and transport. We implement government policy and consider the interests of developers, local citizens and other interested parties in recommending to Ministers which projects should be built.
Supporting communities shape where they live
We implement the government’s aims of sustainable development and through shaping positive local planning. Through the local plan process, communities and developers can prepare accordingly for the future.
Our strategic priorities for 2015 -18 are to provide excellent customer service and continuously improve our productivity. We’ll achieve this by:
- seeking the views of customers and focusing our activity to meet their needs
- aligning quality with customer service and respond quickly by increasing the capability and flexibility of our staff
- improving further our use of IT to deliver our work and provide more useful information to customers
- explore different ways of delivering existing and new services and opportunities for generating income
- take financial decisions to reduce spending based on delivering our work and improving our productivity
Who we are
We have around 700 staff and 100 contractors, who work from home or from our offices in Bristol or Cardiff.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.