The Planning Inspectorate’s job is to make decisions and provide recommendations and advice on a range of land use planning-related issues across England and Wales. We do this in a fair, open and timely way.
A fair planning system
The right to appeal a planning decision made by a local authority is a key feature of the planning system, as is appealing when an authority is taking too long. While there will always be those who agree with planning inspectors’ decisions and those who do not, we always operate fairly.
Helping meet future infrastructure needs
Further economic growth will be underpinned by sustainable development across a number of sectors, particularly energy and transport. We implement government policy and consider the interests of developers, local citizens and other interested parties in recommending to Ministers which projects should be built.
Supporting communities shape where they live
We implement the government’s aims of sustainable development and through shaping positive local planning. Through the local plan process, communities and developers can prepare accordingly for the future.
Our Strategic Plan for 2019–2024 sets out our vision, direction and strategic priorities.
- seeking the views of customers and focusing our activity to meet their needs
- aligning quality with customer service and respond quickly by increasing the capability and flexibility of our staff
- improving further our use of IT to deliver our work and provide more useful information to customers
- explore different ways of delivering existing and new services and opportunities for generating income
- take financial decisions to reduce spending based on delivering our work and improving our productivity
To provide a customer-focused, professional centre of excellence as trusted, independent and innovative planning experts, meeting the Government’s objectives at a local and national level whilst working with others to improve the planning system.
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Increase staff engagement; and
- Identify and trial new approaches and service offerings
Who we are
We have around 700 staff and 100 contractors, who work from home or from our offices in Bristol or Cardiff.