Complaints procedure

Feedback and complaints

The Planning Inspectorate aims to provide the best possible service for its customers. We want to ensure that customers are satisfied with the service they receive, regardless of the outcome of their case. We welcome feedback on all aspects of our services.

The planning system is complex. We fully appreciate that some of our customers will need more support when dealing with us than others. It is inevitable that we will, on occasions, receive queries and concerns about our processes and the decisions planning inspectors make. We will always carefully consider any matters our customers raise, responding as quickly as possible where it is appropriate for us to do so. Our contact details are set out below.

Before contacting us, however, we would ask that you take time to look at our guidance on feedback and complaints, which you may find useful. This is set out in our procedural guides.

Planning appeals: procedural guide

Enforcement appeals: procedural guide

Please also note that the Planning Inspectorate does not have the legal authority to revoke and reconsider an appeal decision after it has been issued (although we can correct minor typographical and other errors). An appeal decision can, however, be reconsidered following a successful challenge in the High Court on a point of law.

There are strict deadlines for lodging High Court challenges; useful information can be found in our procedural guidance. We would strongly advise anyone considering a challenge to seek independent legal advice before doing so.

Challenges must be lodged at the Administrative Court, who can provide further information on the process for different types of casework:

Administrative Court at the Royal Courts of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
Phone: 020 7947 6655


Contact details for Feedback and Complaints

You can contact us via e-mail at, by phone on 0303 444 5884, or by letter (address below). Please quote our case reference number in your correspondence.

You can provide feedback to us on all the different types of work we do. The details will vary, but the same principles apply across all our work.

If you are happy for us to contact you by telephone, please include your number. It would be helpful to us if you could set out any concerns fully at the outset.

Customer Quality Team,
The Planning Inspectorate,
3B Hawk Wing, Temple Quay House,
2 The Square,
Temple Quay,
Bristol BS1 6PN
Tel: 0303 444 5884


What happens after you have contacted us

We will acknowledge your correspondence, carefully consider the points you have raised, investigating further where necessary, and reply in full as soon as possible. You should receive a response within 20 working days; if this is not possible we will let you know. The Customer Quality team works independently of Inspectors and casework teams, ensuring that any matters raised are dealt with impartially.

Complaints Privacy Statement

This statement provides information about how we process personal information in the complaints we receive.

Privacy Statement (ODT, 9.83KB)