We also help people plan ahead for someone to make certain important decisions for them, should they become unable to do so because they lack mental capacity.
We support the Public Guardian in carrying out the legal functions of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Who we are
We employ over 1300 people across offices in Birmingham, Nottingham and London.
We’re responsible for:
- taking action where there are concerns about an attorney or deputy
- registering lasting and enduring powers of attorney, so that people can choose who they want to make decisions for them
- maintaining the public register of deputies and people who have been given lasting and enduring powers of attorney
- supervising deputies appointed by the Court of Protection, and making sure they carry out their work in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- looking into reports of abuse against registered attorneys or deputies
Our current priorities are to:
- understand our customers better and plan ways of measuring how well we are meeting their needs
- provide more digital services
- work with partner organisations to improve our service, and ensure it can be accessed by all our users