Statistics at BIS
The Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) collects and publishes national and official statistics on further and higher education, building materials, construction prices and costs, economic performance and employment, innovation and trade union membership.
We produce national and official statistics in accordance with the statutory and other arrangements described in the guidance on How national and official statistics are assured. We follow the code of practice for official statistics.
The Code of Practice for Official Statistics requires that we announce publication dates for all statistical publications in advance. Publication dates for all BIS and HESA publications are available from the UK Statistics Authority Publication Hub.
Business population estimates
- destination of leavers from higher education
- higher education in the UK
- staff in higher education institutions
- higher education student loans
- higher education student support
- student support applications
- participation rates in higher education
- widening participation in higher education
Science, engineering and technology statistics
- English business survey
- private sector employment indicators (PSEI)
- regional economic performance indicators (REPI)
- mid-sized businesses
- other sub-national statistics
Trade union membership
Search our statistics
We publish statistics reports and documents, including guidance, which can be found through the document search. Live tables that relate to particular statistics releases or guidance will be listed in the document series on that page.
BIS analysis of changes in earnings, net of income tax and National Income Contributions (NICs) between 2012 and 2013
Ad hoc analysis of changes in employee earnings, net of income tax and National Income Contributions (NICs) between 2012 and 2013 based on data from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) data from the ONS. The data and analysis can be found by downloading the spreadsheet , with further detail provided in the accompanying explanatory note .
Higher Education Statistics: User Engagement event
On the 30th January 2014, BIS held a User Engagement event on Higher Education Statistics to raise the profile of, and seek feedback on a range of Higher Education statistics and products. These are the slide presentations from the event.
- Speaker - Andrew Ray (BIS),
- Speaker - Jenny Bermingham (HESA),
- Speaker - Matthew Bollington (BIS),
- Speaker - Annie Sorbie (DFE),
- Speaker - Dean Franklin (BIS),
- Speaker - Mark Gittoes (HEFCE),
- Speaker - David Cartwright (SLC),
Find out more about BIS Official Higher Education Data on Twitter The Royal Statistical Society also run a web-site called StatsUserNet, a forum to discuss official statistics more generally StatsUserNet
General enquiries on our statistics should be sent to: stats.Info@bis.gsi.gov.uk. Please include your full return email address in the enquiry.
For general information on UK government statistics in all other areas, please go to the national statistics website.
Please include your full return email address in the enquiry.