Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
We will take forward the views expressed in the response to the consultation during the negotiation of the proposals. In some cases, we will seek clarification to the wording to ensure that the intention is clear.
Published: 1 August 2012
Detail of feedback received
We received 21 responses to the consultation.
The responses were largely supportive of the proposals, but a number of issues and concerns were raised, some limited to specific proposals, others applicable to all of the Directives.
This consultation seeks your views on the European Commission’s proposals to align a package of 9 Directives to the New Legislative Framework for Community Harmonisation Legislation for Products (NLF), and in particular the provisions of Decision 768/2008/EC.
The 9 Directives are:
- Simple Pressure Vessels Directive: 2009/105/EC
- ATEX Directive: 94/9/EC (Equipment etc for Use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres)
- Pyrotechnic Articles Directive: 2007/23/EC
- Civil Explosives Directive: 93/15/EEC
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive: 2004/108/EC
- Low Voltage Electrical Equipment Directive: 2006/95/EC
- Measuring Instruments Directive: 2004/22/EC
- Non-Automatic Weighing Instruments Directive: 2009/23/EEC (previously Directive 1990/384/EC)
- Lifts Directive: 1995/16/EC
The alignment of the Directives in the package with the Decision has the following aims:
- to address the number of non-compliant products that reach the market through improved traceability and clearer requirements on manufacturers, importers and distributors to co-operate with enforcement authorities
- to address inconsistent performance between Notified Bodies through a reinforced notification process
- to address the complexity of the current legislation through alignment of commonly used definitions and certain aspects of the conformity assessment process