All of our jobs are advertised on:
Equality and diversity
We are working hard to ensure that equality and diversity is the responsibility of everyone in BIS so that it is embedded across the department. Our aim is to deliver a more equal and fairer society for all.
Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act 2010 provides a single piece of legislation that covers:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
The Act streamlines and simplifies the law to make it easier to understand and use. It also strengthens the law with the new public sector equality duty (PSED), which includes the general duty requiring BIS to have due regard to the need to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- foster good relations between different groups
The Government Equalities Office leads on the Equality Act.
The BIS equality objectives are a set of 6 specific and measurable objectives that will ensure we consider equality and diversity in all that we do. These objectives fall into 2 distinct groups: those about BIS as an employer and those about BIS as a policy-making department.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills: equality objectives (PDF, 56.1KB, 8 pages)