Our personal information charter contains the standards you can expect when we ask for, or hold, your personal information. It also covers what we ask of you, to help us keep information up to date.
When we ask you for personal information, we promise to:
- make sure you know why we need it
- only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
- protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services - and whether you can say no
- make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary
We won’t make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to find out what personal information we hold about you
You have a right to request a copy of your personal details at any time to check the accuracy of the information held. If you want to ask whether the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills holds any personal data relating to you, please email your request to email@example.com, or write to us at:
Data Protection Officer
Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
1 Victoria Street,
London SW1H OET
Please be as specific as you can about the information you want, and, if it isn’t obvious, explain why you expect us to hold your personal information.
Proof of identity
Before we can act on your request, you will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include a photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence; and the original of a current utilities bill (for example, gas or electricity), or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address. This can be returned to you if required.
If you do not have any of these forms of identification, please contact the Data Protection Officer, who will assist you.
When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact:
The Information Commissioner
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 545 745 Fax: 01625 524 510 Website: The Information Commissioner