Complaints procedure

We will take all complaints we receive very seriously.

How to complain about BIS

We are committed to providing accessible and responsive services to businesses and the community. If the service you have received is not up to the appropriate standard, please send us your complaint or comments. We will take them seriously. We give all our staff guidance on how to deal with complaints.

If you have a complaint about a particular piece of government policy for which we are responsible, you should write to the minister concerned or to your local MP.

BIS Complaints Procedures

If you have a complaint or comment about one of the executive agencies and management units we work with, contact them directly. They all have their own complaints procedures:

How to make your complaint

You can make your complaint, (which will be dealt with confidentially), in writing, by phone, fax or e-mail:

Phone (BIS Enquiry Unit): 0207 215 5000
Fax: 0207 215 0105

You can write to:

Complaints Manager
Department of Business, Innovation & Skills,
Enquiry Unit
1 Victoria Street

We need the full details of the issue and people you are complaining about. This will help us address your concerns within our 15 day target. We need to know:

  • the department and contact name (if you have one)
  • whether this is an original complaint or a follow-up to a previous reply
  • what happened
  • what you would like us to do to sort things out
  • your full postal address, phone number and e-mail address (if you have one)

What happens next?

The department’s complaints officer will pass your complaint to the relevant person in the department and will work with that person to ensure that you are given a satisfactory response within 15 working days. When we can’t do this we will explain why and give you a date by which you can expect a full reply.

If you are not satisfied with our reply

You should write, email or phone again, asking the complaints officer to investigate your complaint further. Also tell us why you are not satisfied with our response.

If the complaints officer feels that further investigation is justified an enquiry will take place and you will receive a response within 15 working days. If this is not possible we will explain why and give you a date by which you can expect a full reply.

If you are still not satisfied

If you are still not satisfied, you should write or email again, asking for a review of the decision made by the complaints officer. This review will be undertaken by an independent senior official within the department.


If you have gone through our complaints procedure and you are still not satisfied, you have the right to refer the matter to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman). You must make complaints to the Ombudsman through an MP. Your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau can give you the address of your MP. You can get more advice from the Ombudsman’s office at the following address:

Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration,
Millbank Tower,
London SW1P 4QP
Phone: 0345 015 4033
Fax: 0300 061 4000

Users’ views

We improve our services by listening and responding to your views. We also welcome any comments or suggestions on our complaints procedure, to make sure it works as efficiently and effectively as possible. Please send these to the complaints officer at the address above.

This document is available on our website in both English and Welsh. Please ask us if you would like a copy of this document in large print.